If you have recently had a loved one pass away, then you might feel overwhelmed by sorrow and grief. It is natural to feel a variety of strong emotions after the death of a loved one. You might feel anguish, sorrow or even anger. It is important to not feel guilty over your feelings. They are a necessary part of healing. It is equally important to remember that God is with you.
Although you might think that you’ll never be able to cope with the loss of a person so precious to you, it is important to remember that no matter how sharp your pain, God can help you find hope and comfort. His words can help you get through your times of loss and grief.
It might seem impossible to think of prayers during the early days of your loss. The shock of the loss can make it hard to think. Here are nine prayers to help bring healing to your broken heart.
1. Your word is my comfort and hope during my time of suffering. Your word revives me and preserves my life especially now during my time of greatest need. Psalm 119:50
2. God of all Comfort – I willingly receive your strength, compassion, and comfort now. Although I might not know what your comfort will feel or look like, I will trust it as our comfort abounds through Jesus Christ. Corinthians 1:3-5, Isaiah 66:13, Isaiah 49:13
3. Because you delight in me, you will bring me into a safe place and rescue me from despair. Psalm 18:19
4. Lord, help me to receive comfort from the people who mourn with me. Their comfort is your comfort during my time of need. Romans 12:15
5. Jesus, send me your comfort. I am mourning now and deeply need it. Wrap your loving arms around me and hold me during my time of need. Send mercy and comfort to me through those around me. Keep me away from actions and words that are no comfort to me. Matthew 5:4, NIV.
6. God, I need your peace. I need it to guard my mind and my heart. I ask for your peace to help me rule my emotions and my sleep. Philippians 4:7, NIV.
7. Lord, I am giving you my broken heart so that you can provide your healing touch. Psalm 147:3, Isaiah 61:1
8. Lord, you are my source of stability and wisdom. Help me to be still and make wise decisions during my time of grief. I know that you are God and will lead me through my darkest hour. Psalm 46:10
9. Lord, hold me close and rescue my spirit. Lift me up and give me hope and encouragement. Show me the way. Help me to know that tomorrow will be easier. Psalm 34:18, NLT.
The Bible says that you are “Close to the Brokenhearted” and that you “Rescue those whose spirits are crushed.”
Although it might be hard, take the time and pray as much as you can. The above prayers will help you find special comfort and hope in God during your season of grief.
~ 1776 Christian